It is the joy of giving week from the 26th September till the 2nd October 2010 as celebrated by Goonj. It is one of the biggest initiatives by this organization.
While we are celebrating so many different days in the year starting from Valentine’s Day to Mothers Day to April fool’s Day to My name day to No Housework Day etc…
In the same stride, someone came up with the Giving Away week and while you are giving away lets extend it to a week rather than just a day.
“Anything lying around unused in your house is an opportunity waiting to touch a life…” GOONJ
So you have to peep into the many drawers, cupboards, storage, kitchen, bathroom of your house and take out anything you not need or use anymore. Their main focus is on clothing and school items.
But please do not restrict yourselves and purge your houses to whatever extent possible and please go and give it all away. They have organized collection centers on various days, especially for the Joy of giving away week.
GOONJ’s Public Centers during 26th Sept- 2nd Oct ‘2010 – http://www.goonj.org/pslist.htm
Please note that this week is just before the major festivals set in so as to bring happiness to few people so that their Diwali is a bright one.
If you want to know how this will benefit you, please take a look at the list below:
1) You will be making someone very happy
2) You will be de-cluttering your space, causing a lot of joy for yourself
3) You will be keeping things from entering the landfills as someone else will be using what you do not use anymore
4) You will be at the heart of doing social service
5) All this will generate more awareness for the success of this initiative
P.S.: I am giving away suitcases filled with stuff to Goonj. It just feels so good.